I had to take a taxi to and from a doctor's appt. today. It was easy to find one on the way there but coming out of the doctor's office, I had to walk a couple of blocks to find one. I always say a prayer that I will be able to be safe. (You are putting your life in a complete strangers hands!) I finally found one, but as he was pulling up, I realized that it wasn't as nice of a taxi as I usually see around here. But I got in anyways. I regretted it soon after. I told him where I needed to go and he told me it would be $15. I had only paid $12 on the way there and I told him that. He said, "OK, you can give me $12, but I have started raising my prices lately because gas is so expensive." So we left it at that. He started drinking something. I really thought it was beer. It turns out that it was a Perrier water bottle (made out of glass).
I literally have never been so scared in a car in my life. He was driving SOOOOOO fast and weaving in and out of cars. I gasped a couple of times, holding on for dear life and joked about being a bad back seat driver. But soon I couldn't handle it anymore. We were speeding down the freeway crossing three lanes at a time (no signaling at all!!!), slamming on brakes, the works. I blurted out, "I will give you the $15 if you will spare my life!" He started laughing and said, "You're funny." Luckily he did calm down quite a bit. Then we got into a conversation about Utah and how I was Mormon which lead to a conversation about polygomy, etc. We'll save that part of the story for another day. My usual 20 -25 min. drive from the dr. was done in less than 10 minutes.
As I was getting out, he said, "I spared your life you know." I said, "I know, that is why I am giving you $15."
5 comments:
Woah, I'm so glad you are okay. Taxi drivers are an interesting lot. What a funny conversation. I thought you handled that stressful situation perfectly.
Crazy! As much as I drive myself now, I can't stand it when others drive. And then when they pull suicidal moves? AHH!
eeeks! i'm happy you're still here! i loooove you!
ps. and people laugh at me when i say i dont want to drive, but see! scary!
How funny. I can never come up with anything witty to say in the moment. I probably would have just closed my eyes and tried to picture a "happy place" until it was over. You are always so positive and nice though!
Oh my gosh Emily! I'm such a granny driver I think I would have wet my pants! I will have to agree you handled it very well.
Post a Comment